Saturday, July 9, 2011

Open Water

I have never been a fan of open water. 

Well, unless...
I'm firmly on the shore gazing out at it.
I'm safely in a vehicle riding by it or over it.
I'm in a very large, stable cruise ship riding upon it.

Otherwise, count me out.  Instead, I'd much prefer a good ol' concrete, rectangular shaped, chlorine-filled swimming pool.

I think my hesitancy and fear stem from watching one too many Jaws movies when I was child back in the 80's.  I would peer through my fingers, which covered my face, and watch the hungry ocean creature attack the poor, helpless victim from under the water without her ever seeing it coming. 

As a result, I've never had an interest in surfing, scuba diving, or even swimming far out into the deep, blue sea.  On the contrary, I have been quite content to enjoy the water, with all its glory, safely from a distance.

So, how was I to respond when our friends, who happen to love being out on a boat, out on the open water, invited us to join them this past week at Lake Lanier? 

Yes, I know the difference between salt water creatures and fresh water creatures.  In my head, I know there are no great white sharks lurking in Lake Lanier.  But what about snakes, giant fish, or even alligators?  Hmm. 

I was faced with a dilemma.  Do I go with them or do I stay home?  Do I get in the boat, face my fears and try something new?  Or do I avoid the boat, stay afraid and refuse to accept the challenge of enlarging my experiences?

In this case, I chose to be brave.  I chose to suck up my fears for the sake of having fun and spending time with friends.  And I did have fun.  Lots of it. 

Not only did I get into the boat, but later in the trip, I even got out of the boat.  I jumped in the water and swam around with my daughters, out in open water. 

And even more surprisingly, I tried kneeboarding for the very first time.  Imagine that.

Being pulled around behind a speeding boat, out in open water.  Then after letting go, waiting for the boat, out in open water, to return to pick you up. Talk about getting over my fear of open water! 

Will I do it again?  Absolutely.  Why? 

Because, thanks to the Lord and some encouraging friends, I've discovered that going out into the deep, open water is much more fulfilling than only observing from a distance or simply staying where it's shallow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...