Friday, July 22, 2011

I Can Carry It

As was the norm for most Thursday mornings, I drove up to the front of the gym, parked my car, and prepared myself for the day’s fitness class.   In the back seat, my youngest daughter, Gloria, began organizing her belongings to go inside the building.  Before leaving our house earlier that morning, my pint-sized preschooler had managed to fill quite a few tote bags with various toys to entertain herself and her friend while in childcare that day.  Because I had also packed her a snack bag and brought her a water bottle, she had more than her little hands could possibly carry. 

I grabbed my purse and naturally began assisting her out of the car, inquiring if she needed some help carrying her bags.  She declined by saying, “I’m fine.  I can carry it.”  I watched as she struggled to climb out of the car and out onto the pavement.  She nearly got wedged between the seat and door because of the manner in which she chose to hold all her possessions.

Slowly, but deliberately, we made our way to the door at the front entrance where I scanned my key card and then paused to talk to my instructor who was sitting at her desk.  Again, I watched to see Gloria clearly having difficulty managing all her gear and asked if I could help her.  For the second time in just a few minutes, my petite, yet head-strong four year old, rejected my offer and continued to walk in the direction of her class.  Another gym friend greeted us; we made small talk and started moving again. 

Concern turned to action when I gazed down one final time at my daughter.  The weight of the bags bearing down on her arms had begun making large red indentations on her skin.  At this point, I stopped and looked her in the eyes.  Firmly, yet gently, I said, “Gloria, let me have some of your stuff.  I know you want to carry it and you think you can, but it will be easier for you if I help you out.”  This time, without disputing, she began to distribute some of the bags to me and consequently, her load became lighter.

Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7(NLT)

 At that moment, I felt the Spirit whisper to my heart, “You know, my child, you’re a lot like her.  You want to be independent, handle things all by yourself and in your own strength.  The stuff you carry is weighty, burdensome, and awkward.  Oftentimes, it slows you down.  It’s not until pain is felt and wounds are evident, when you finally choose to accept help from Me and from those I send your way.  Give Me all your cares and your worries and really believe I care for you.”

Father, thank you for the firm, yet gentle reminder that you are always present, ready and willing to carry my burdens for me.  Forgive me for declining your help time and time again.  Forgive me for being strong-willed and independent, thinking I can take care of it all by myself; I know I cannot.  Instead, I pray complete dependence upon You and Your strength.  I pray I will experience both gentle peace and jubilant freedom in laying my burdens at Your feet.  Most importantly, Father, help me to never forget how much you truly care for me.

“Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. 
I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.” Isaiah 46:4(NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...