Thursday, September 15, 2011

One Month Down--So Much More to Go!


Well, it's official.  We've survived. 

The first month of our newest adventure--homeschooling here at Fort Academy, as we so affectionately call it--has come and gone. 

Who would have thought one year ago I'd be a homeschooling mom today?  Certainly not me. 

I admit I toyed with the idea eight years ago, when I left my full-time teaching position in a wonderful elementary school to become a stay-at-home mom.  But at most, it was a fleeting idea.  Honestly, I don't think I was ever truly serious about doing it.

Last January, that all changed when God started planting seeds in both my husband's mind and heart and mine to consider homeschooling.  I wrestled with the Lord about it for a couple of months, not sure I was ready and willing for such an enormous change in our family's life.  All the while, God continued to water those seeds because everything I heard, everything I thought, and everything I felt seemed to point in one direction--homeschooling.

I knew the choice to teach my girls at home would be a sacrifice.  I knew it would cause me to lose some things which had become somewhat important to me in the last year.  Mostly, I knew it would involve a lot of change, and instinctively, I balk at change.  I mean, when things seem to be going so well, why buck the system?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Right?

But after much, much reading, much, much listening, and even much, much more prayer, I submitted to what my husband and I believed the Lord was leading us to do with our family at this time in our lives.  And strangely enough, the more I submitted, the more the desire to homeschool grew and blossomed within my heart. 

Today, I wouldn't have it any other way.  Seriously.  I mean it. 

The intimate time I get to spend with my girls is a treasure, time I won't ever get back this side of heaven.  Having the opportunity to hear their little hearts and talk about truths with them in a manner I feel I may have neglected in the past is such an honor.  Being the one imparting knowledge, assisting with assignments and encouraging their spirits is yet another gem I hold dear to my heart.  And of course, the teacher in me loves planning, preparing and seeing learning take place--everyday, any time of day. 

Because of all these things and so much more, I feel the most alive I've ever felt in my life.  The Lord is my passion.  My family is my passion.  Teaching is my passion.  Combine the three and it's like a combustible explosion going off inside my very own heart.

The Lord has been so gracious, allowing me the time to chew on all these changes and to live in His love, especially over the last month.  I am so grateful for His presence, His provision and His principles to practice and apply.

Even though I am technically the teacher here at home, I assure you I am most certainly the student.  I'm pretty confident I've learned immeasurably more than my girls probably have in the last month--mostly about dying to self, the importance of true encouragement, patience, forgiveness, consistency, perseverance, and mostly love. 
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love,
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing..." 1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Will we always homeschool?  Who knows?  I'm only confident that homeschooling is the right choice for us during this season in our lives.  I don't want to spend the time or energy worrying about the future.  Instead, I'd rather be present to delight in this new adventure with my family.  Celebrating each new milestone.  Eager for more, so much more.

3 comments:

  1. So thankful to hear things are going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Barbie, they are going well, surprisingly well for that matter! Come back and ask me in let's say, February...hopefully my opinion will still be the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele, Did you receive a message from me a few weeks back in your comments? I'll copy and paste it again in case you missed it. Thanks, Sarah

    Hello, my name is Sarah Horton and I’m a brand evangelist for Beliefchangers.

    Beliefchangers is an organization that is dedicated to helping people discover the reality of a moment-by-moment abiding relationship with Christ, so they can experience the Christian life they’ve always wanted.

    Spreading the message of Christ is why I’m writing you today. Beliefchangers has over 200,000 active Facebook fans (http://www.facebook.com/beliefchangers). Daily, we provide our fans with spiritual content to help advance their Christian lives.

    Most of the written and video content we offer originates with the Beliefchangers’ team. Recently, though, I’ve read a few of your blog posts and feel that exposing our audience to your writings might encourage them in their faith.

    I’d like to discuss the opportunity of getting your message in front of our growing audience, (we are adding over 10,000 new Facebook fans per month).

    I realize you probably would like to know more about who Beliefchangers is before we post a link to your content to our members and fans. Would you take a few moments and get to know us? Here are a few links:

    (Our Founder’s blog)

    http://beliefchangers.com/site/

    (Facebook page)

    http://www.facebook.com/beliefchangers

    (Free Abiding Life Course)

    http://www.facebook.com/beliefchangers?sk=app_7146470109

    (Twitter Account)

    http://twitter.com/#!/beliefchangers

    (Youtube Channel)

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Beliefchangers

    I hope the time you invest getting to know Beliefchangers will begin building a foundation from which we can work together to advance the message of Christ.

    In a couple of days, I will follow-up with you, but feel free to email me anytime with your thoughts or comments. My contact info is below.

    Thanks for your consideration.

    Abiding in Christ,

    Sarah Horton
    Brand Evangelist, Beliefchangers
    sarah.horton@beliefchangers.com
    405.513.1267

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...