Monday, August 8, 2011

Goldilocks


You know the fairy tale. 

Little girl with golden curls. 
Family of three bears. 
House in the woods.  
Three bowls of porridge.  
Three different chairs.  
Three dissimilar beds. 
Little girl on a quest for "just right."

I confess I've been feeling a little like Miss Goldilocks lately.  Searching to find "just right". 

It seems I've been swinging on the pendulum of discontent between "too much" and "not enough".  My perspective, my opinions and my outlook seem to shift between the two varying extremes on a frequent basis lately.  In some circumstances, I feel I am "too much".  In others, "not enough". 
Can you possibly relate?

I talk too much.  I don't share what I'm thinking and feeling enough.
I plan too much.  I haven't planned enough.
I'm thinking too much.  I haven't put enough thought into it.
I'm giving my girls too much freedom.  I haven't given them enough freedom.
We have too much stuff.  We don't have enough stuff.
I have too much to do.  I haven't done enough.
I spend too much time networking socially.  I don't spend enough time connecting with friends and family.
I think about what I want too much.  I don't think enough about what I need.
My body is too __________.  My body is not __________ enough. (you fill in the blanks)
Maybe I show my love too much.  Maybe I don't show my love nearly enough.

And the list goes on and on and on.

When I find myself in the midst of this heated mental battle of tug-of-war, I am reassured by these ancient words...
"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled with the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:16-19
I am reminded that I have been filled to the brim with the fullness of God.  I am complete in Christ. 
Lingering long in limbo between "too much" and "not enough" is no longer acceptable.
Instead, grasping the deep, wide, fulfilling love of Jesus, the search party is called off.
I have found my rest.  I have found my "just right."

2 comments:

  1. Michele, these words are absolutely beautiful. For me, living between "not enough" and "too much" is really about being discontent with where I am. I am learning to live a life of fullness, exactly where I am. Your girls are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Barbie! I just read a relevant quote from Ann Voscamp in her book, "One Thousand Gifts". She said, "Long, I am a woman who speaks but one language, the language of the fall--discontentment and self-condemnation, the critical eye and the never satisfied." Wow. In contrast, I desire to speak the language of gratitude and grace. Praying my heart will focus on Him and to be content with wherever I am and whatever I have. I am grateful for you and your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...