Friday, April 13, 2012

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

International adoption.  Nearly everything about it screams, "Mountain!"

Long wait = Big mountain

Paperwork and more paperwork = Big mountain

Communication with a foreign country = Big mountain

Some moments all I can see is one gigantic mountain after another looming in front of me.

But none is more intimidating than the mountain of money needed to get our little girl from India and bring her home.

Our agency estimates the final cost of this adoption to be between $30,000-$35,000 when all is said and done.  Yes.  That sounds like a lot of money.  Why?  Because it is! 

So, what is our one-income family to do?  Do we raise high our white flag and say we quit?  That we don't have these kind of financial resources?  That we can't do it?

Actually, we do.  We lift our white flag of surrender and say that we, in fact, are unable to make this adoption happen.  Left on our own, we cannot do it.  But God...

Whenever I feel completely overwhelmed by these mountains, God is faithful to remind me He is the Mountain Mover.  He is the only One who can do it.  But He also reminds me of my part the exact moment I start to doubt.

He replied, “Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain,
‘Move from here to there’ and it will move.
Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

No mountain is too high or too strong or too invincible.  I do have faith.  Even if it's teeny-tiny some days.  Just like a mustard seed.  

So, how are we going to move this mountain of money?  We will pray.  We will save.  We will fundraise.

For starters, we have planned our first official adoption fundraiser for next weekend, a huge yard sale across the street from our church.

We have asked anyone and everyone, as they "spring clean", to reserve a pile for us, to set aside items they no longer need and are willing to let us sell at our sale.  We are praying for lots of donations, lots of customers, and lots of sunshine!

We have also sent a letter out to friends and family asking for prayer, as well as, for monetary donations.  My Mom always taught me, "It never hurts to ask.  All they can say is, 'No'."  So, humbly, we've asked others to come alongside us and contribute to our journey.

And with grateful hearts, we can say we nearly have a tenth of what is needed!  It's definitely more than we had and we are thankful.  So thankful. 

We are working on ideas for other fundraisers following the yard sale, and just last night, we added a "Donate" button to this blog.  If you are able, please consider clicking the button in the right hand margin to donate to our quest to bring our Indian daughter home.  We would be so grateful!

Lastly, I just have to share the song I've had in my head and in my heart over the past couple of months.  I've been singing it to my little girl in a faraway land and at the same time I've sensed the Lord has been singing it over me. :) The lyrics remind me of why we are doing what we are doing.  Mountains and all.

"Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from you."

Diana, take it away...

Sweet little one, we're coming.  We have some mountains to climb and some mountains to move, but we're coming.  Don't worry.  Ain't no mountain high enough to keep us from you.



1 comment:

  1. Love the Picture...;-) When is the deadline for raising the $$$ ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...