Monday, January 9, 2012

Daddy's Home

The door had only just opened when she took off like lightning.  As fast as her little legs could carry her, she ran.  Up the steps and straight into his arms. 

"Daddy's home!" she squealed in her most precious four year old voice. 

Forget the toys.  Never mind the sister she left to play alone downstairs.  

Nothing else mattered.  All her attention was centered on the one who'd been out of the house and out of her presence all day.

Sitting alone on the living room couch, I smiled. 

Silently, I thanked God for the exchange taking place between my youngest daughter and her daddy. 
I thanked God for my husband's safe trip home from work today. 
I thanked God that my husband comes home faithfully every day. 

Because so many daddies can't.  Or don't.  Or won't. 

Then I thought about all the children I know who aren't able to jump into the arms of their fathers today.  And I prayed for them.

For the little ones bravely waiting on their daddy's time of service--defending and protecting our country--to conclude.

For the children who must wait patiently all week for a chance to be with their father during his designated weekend of visitation.

For all the babies who've been abandoned and left alone, never experiencing the loving embrace of a mother or father, never knowing the security of home.

And just this week, for a fellow high school classmate's children, who will no longer feel the strength of their father's arms around them this side of heaven.  

Peace to you, little ones.  Know this.  Your daddy's home.

"I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him.
Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong."  Ephesians 3:16-17

If home is where the heart is, then as believers in Christ, our heart is His home. 

So I pray these little ones will grow to know their Heavenly Daddy, who is always home. 

In heaven.  On His throne.  In the hearts of those who have trusted Him.

Run hard.  Run fast, little ones.  Straight into the strong and loving embrace of your Daddy.

Because Daddy's home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...