Thursday, September 8, 2011

Follow the Leader

I jump up and down.  You jump up and down.
I twirl around in a circle.  You twirl around in a circle.
I hop on one foot.  You hop on one foot. 
I march in place.  You march in place.

Whatever I do, you do.  Follow the leader.  It's a great game.  Simple to understand.  Simple to play. 

The game appears to be the most fun though, for the leader, the one demonstrating what the others should be doing.  If you've ever watched young children play this game before, you know it doesn't take long before a coup is formed.  The leader is soon overthrown and inevitably replaced by a new one.  Everyone wants the chance to be the leader.  Few want to follow.

Recently, I have been struggling with the challenge of what it means to follow.  Particularly, to be an authentic follower of Jesus. 

Unfortunately, in the world today, it seems being "Christian" has been reduced to labeling someone who is not an atheist, a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, etc, instead of one "who is like Christ". 

In the evangelical church, a "Believer" is described as one who believes in his/her heart and mind and confesses with his/her mouth that Jesus is Lord, the risen Son of God. 

But, being a true "Follower" of Christ takes the relationship and the commitment even further.  It requires action.  It requires getting up and going.  Walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

  • In the New Testament, Jesus instructed twelve men to "Come, follow me" and they did, becoming His disciples here on earth. 
  • Repeatedly, large crowds demonstrated great faith when they followed Jesus wherever He went, seeking healing and hope. 
  • Jesus declared if anyone wanted to be His disciple, he must deny himself, take up his cross (a symbol of torture and pain) and follow Him. 
  • He told the young rich ruler to sell all his possessions, give to the poor and then he could follow Him. 
  • He taught that since He is, in fact, the light of the world, no one who follows Him will walk in darkness. 
  • Jesus declared His sheep will never follow a stranger because they know His voice. 
  • In the book of John, Jesus states whoever serves Him must follow Him. 
  • After His death, burial, resurrection, and ascension into Heaven, His true disciples were called Followers of the Way. 
  • Toward the end of the New Testament, we are reminded by the apostle Peter to follow in His steps as we live our lives today. 

"Everyone wants to benefit from the cross, but no one wants to follow. Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."

A guest pastor spoke these sentences last Sunday at my church.  His words slayed me when I first heard them, as they describe my heart at the present time.

Naturally, I prefer the benefits, the privileges, and the rewards from being in Christ versus the sacrifices, the hardships, and the suffering.  But to truly serve Him, I must follow Him.  It's crucial that I die to myself and take up my cross so I can follow hard after Him.

How will following Jesus manifest itself during this season in my life?  I'm not sure.  But because I love Him, it makes me want to follow Him.  Wherever He goes.  Whatever He does.  

So today, I'm willing. 
Willing to trust Him. 
Willing to join Him. 
Willing to be content, following the leader.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this truth today. Being a follower of Jesus has been reduced to such a casual state. I strive to take up my cross daily and follow Him. I am thankful He's there, showing me the way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...