Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thank You

"Thank you."  Two simple words.  So easy to say.  So refreshing to hear.  So why then, does this phrase seem so obsolete?


"thankful - aware and appreciative of a benefit; grateful"
In the midst of a hectic morning earlier this week, my normally ultra-sensitive eldest daughter invited a heart-to-heart lecture on this very subject by a statement she expressed to me.  When I asked her if she needed me to take care of something for her before we left the house, she replied, "Well, you should've done it already."  Needless to say, her words struck a chord with me, realizing a "talk" was essential at this very moment. 

I pulled one of my famous "Mom cards" from the deck and started naming the multitude of things I had, in fact, already done before the girls even got out of bed.  I also gently, yet firmly, explained that I am not their slave.  I choose to serve them because I love them and want to take care of the little details in their lives, not because someone mandates I do so. 

I further explained how nice it would be to hear, "thank you" once in a while.  Not because we, as their parents, force them, but because their heart is truly grateful for what they've been given.

At that moment, I sensed God in my spirit saying, "Me too.  I feel the same way about my children." 

Oh.  Right.  Got it.  Heard you, Father.  Loud and clear.

I wouldn't describe myself as ungrateful or unappreciative.  My heart is, in fact, filled to overflowing with gratitude to my God--for who He is and what He's done in my life.  The problem is that I just don't express it nearly enough.  Not like I should.  Not as much as He'd enjoy.

So, this morning I purposely entered "His gates with thanksgiving", expressing appreciation and gratitude for all the benefits I receive from Him.

Thank you, Lord, for Your presence in my life.
Thank you for Your constant provision; I never lack for a thing.
Thank you for filling my heart with Your everlasting, steadfast love.
Thank you for giving me a wonderful family to love and care for.
Thank you for being trustworthy and faithful.
Thank you for being my Strength when I have none.
Thank you for never leaving me alone.
Thank you for going ahead of me and fighting the battles for me.
Thank you for Your listening ear and for hearing my heart.
Thank you most of all, for eternal security through Your Son.



"Give thanks with a grateful heart. 
Give thanks to the Holy One. 
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son. 

And now, let the weak say I am strong. 
Let the poor say I am rich. 
Because of what the Lord has done for us.  Give thanks."

I know I will.  And I will be praying and teaching my girls to do the same. 

1 comment:

  1. Girl. . .I can relate! I LOVE the "God-stop" in the midst of the madness. Sometimes, it's when I hear him speak the loudest. Very cool. Thanks for sharing such a good word.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...