Monday, August 12, 2013

Why We're Homeschooling Again This Year

As much as we'd like to proclaim, "LONG LIVE SUMMER!" from the tops of our lungs, we have to face the fact.  It's that time of year. 

Back to school.

Before moving ahead to our third year, let's venture back just a few months ago here at Fort Academy.  Last May we celebrated both Gloria's kindergarten graduation and the end of another successful year.  Here are a few pics.


Rocked out our 2nd year!
Girls helped me set the table for our end-of-school celebration
 
The staff and student body
Best. Class. Ever.
Cue the "Pomp and Circumstance"
Singing the "Magic e Song"


Sharing a piece of poetry


Girls were tickled to give me this...
 
Yes!  Teacher of the Year!  Tough race, but SO glad I came out on top. ;)

As my girls start 1st grade and 4th grade, I want to step back and remind myself why we do what we do.

We know the choice we've made to homeschool our girls is the best fit for us in this season with our family.  Right now it just works.  We're aware that one day it might not.  That's why we take one year at a time, constantly reevaluating and reconsidering the needs of our girls and of ourselves.

And just like any parent trying to help any child with anything, particularly homework, we have bumpy moments in this journey.  Some days it is inevitable.  Lots of pouting, grumbling, and crying. And then on other days, it's my girls' turn. :)

For the record, I attended a public elementary, middle and high school.  So did my husband.  We loved it.
I graduated from a Christian college and then began teaching in a public elementary school.  Loved it.
I married my husband who has been teaching in the public education system for 16 years.  He loves...okay...most days, he likes it.
My oldest attended preschool, kindergarten and first grade in a fabulous local Christian school.  She loved it.
My youngest attended preschool at the same school.  Also loved it.
I was a long-term substitute at that exact school.  Loved it.
And my husband is currently serving in his second year on the school board there as well.  Loves it.

But yet...

We homeschool.  And you guessed it.  We love it.

Maybe we just love education.  Maybe we're just school nerds who are capable of being content learning wherever, whenever.  Maybe.

But maybe we have chosen to homeschool because we felt the Lord leading us strongly in this direction three years ago and still choosing to keep us here now.

While God continued to nudge us toward to homeschool, simultaneously I sensed His call to die to selfishness.  Always the hardest part for me.  (Still is.)  In this case, I struggled with wanting MY freedom.  MY independence.  MY time. 

As I continued to wrestle with the Lord about this, I found my clear answer one evening in a very familiar story in Matthew 14. You know the one. Hungry crowd. Little boy. Bread and fish. Big miracle.

Simply put, the people were starving after being outside all day long.  Jesus' disciples, who were probably feeling the hunger pangs themselves, came up with their own solution.  Send the people away to get their own food.

But Jesus had a different plan and a completely different response: 

"They do not need to go away. 
You give them something to eat."

Without a doubt, I knew in that moment, God had given me a directive through His Word.

I was not to send my girls away to get their needs met by anyone else.  I was to do it.  It was to be my job.  My responsibility.  I was to give them "something to eat."

But...
*what if I screwed up?
*what if I didn't have enough patience?
*what about friends?  Mine and theirs?

As my list of questions grew, and as insecure and incompetent I felt, I still knew what I had to do. 

I did the same thing the little boy did with his five loaves and two fish. 

I took the little bit I had (the little bit of educational experience, the little bit of desire, the little bit of patience, the little bit of unselfishness, the little bit of confidence, etc.) and offered it to Jesus

Looking in, my basket held little to boast about.  Little to make a difference.  But humbly and willingly, I lifted it up to the only One who can multiply equations far more complex than any I ever tried to solve in school.

My job was to submit to His plan for our family. 
My joy has been watching Him feed His little sheep.

Out of curiosity last night, I asked my husband and both of the girls why we homeschool and why they like it.

My husband gave his list.  It was full of great answers like: deep, meaningful individualized instruction, a biblical worldview, chance to illuminate Christ throughout every subject, creating life-long learners, privilege of knowing and attending specifically to our girls' strengths and weaknesses, the intimate fellowship with family, etc.

My girls gave their list.  It included: getting to stay home all day, sleeping late, wearing pajamas/dressing how they want, no homework, getting done early, having lots of time to play, getting to be with each other, hearing great stories read to them, cuddling in Mommy's lap to read, moving at their own pace with work/not having to wait for others to finish, having Mommy as a teacher (yes, they really said that one), etc.

After they were all finished, and I'd recorded their answers, I asked again, "So, is that it?  Any other reasons why we homeschool?"

Grace turns to me and says, "Mom, because God told you to.  Remember?"

So, yeah, I guess that's it. 

Until we hear differently, until we are led in another direction, the plan is to continue homeschooling.  We will continue to give them something to eat.  We will continue to offer up our baskets in obedience and wait as He provides in miraculous ways.

My prayer for my girls is the same result the crowd (and the disciples) had after Jesus took care of their needs.

"They all ate and were satisfied..."
Matthew 14:20

Disclaimer: We know homeschooling is not the best fit, nor God's plan for every family. (gasp!)  We have friends and family who homeschool, some who send their children to Christian school, some who attend public school.  Each family has to do what is best for each individual child at each stage in his/her life.  We fully support all three options and the families who represent them.  As stated before, this is the best plan for us at this season in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Can I tell you I get a little jealous when I see posts like this? I homeschool my 8th grade girl, but also work full time. It's a juggling act and I don't get to decorate our table and do all of these wonderful things. But, I am realizing my homeschool experience won't look like anyone elses. Praying you have an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbie. Every experience is very different and I think that's what makes it great. Praying you have an amazing year as well!

      Delete
  2. Schooling is like any other parenting decision -- it must be bathed in prayer !! If you keep your ear to His heart, you will follow His path for your family each year. Your girls are blessed to have parents that keep their ears open to His voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always praying, Rebekah. Always praying. Have to. NO stinkin' way we could do this (or anything for that matter) without Him. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...