Friday, March 29, 2013

Spilled

She didn't mean to do it.  It was an accident.

I could feel her excitement.  I could see her nervousness.  Her little hands struggled to stop the shaking.  Balancing the tiny, plastic cup filled to the brim with the dark juice was so much harder than it looked, particularly for a five year old.

It was her first communion in "big church".  With her sister, with us and with everyone else.  It was the first time she'd been able to participate since coming into God's family.  The first time she could walk up to the table, take the bread and the juice and remember...just as He said to do.

..."This is my body, broken for you. 
Do this to remember me...
This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you. 
Each time you drink this cup, remember me."
1 Corinthians 11:24-25 (The Message)

As soon as our family of four returned to our seats and attempted to sit down with our cups and crackers, I felt it.  The splashing wetness landing on my knee and trickling down my leg. 

And then I noticed the effects on her.  Looking down, I saw the consequences of what had just spilled onto her lacy white socks.  A bright red stain.

Instead of huffing during such a holy moment, the Lord halted me with this thought:

What my daughter spilled...her juice...
completely accidental.
What my Savior spilled...His blood...
completely intentional.
 
He meant to do it. It was no accident.
 
Because His precious, perfect blood spilled from His body, because it poured down from the tip of His head and trickled to the bottom of His feet, we are stained.  And amazingly, His stain makes us clean.
 
"...without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness."
Hebrews 9:22b (NIV)

He wants us in His family.  He wants us to have eternal life.  He wants to forgive our sins.

And I am grateful.  Forever grateful that because of His lavish love, the blood He shed on the cross He did so willingly and purposefully.

It was no accident.  He meant every drop spilled.

1 comment:

  1. So thankful. What a powerful reminder the Lord gave to you. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...