Friday, February 24, 2012

Our "Yes" is on the Table


Just about every Sunday morning, right before our pastor steps up to the podium to deliver the message to the church body, our worship pastor unashamedly and passionately prays these words over us: 

"God, we choose to put our 'Yes' on the table right now. 
Let us be doers of Your Word and not hearers only."

Translation:  Whatever the Lord tells us to do today, do it. 

No matter how hard it seems. 
No matter how afraid we are. 
No matter how much sacrifice it will take. 
No matter how we think it might inconvenience us.
No matter how it may interfere with our lives.
No matter what others might think. 
Just do it.  Just obey.

Over the last several months, Derek and I have sensed a very new and very profound plan for our family during this season in our lives.  Something neither my husband, nor I, would have ever dreamed or imagined or thought of by ourselves.

"No eye has seen, no ear as heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him, but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit." 1 Corinthians 2:9-10

A gentle, yet firm nudging upon our spirits.  
An unrelenting, overwhelming pressing in our gut.
An all-encompassing sensory onslaught within our minds and upon our hearts. 

Through confirmation upon confirmation, the Lord has unmistakably revealed His desire for our family and the new adventure He has set before us.

Without keeping you in suspense a moment longer...

*(insert drum roll, please)*

God is leading our family toward adoption!  More specifically, to adopt a little girl from India. 

Our response:  "Yes, Lord!"

God is so good and so gracious and so patient as He has been preparing us for this commitment.  Over time He has opened our eyes to the world in which we live.  I'm ashamed to admit that even though we have taught and served and obeyed for much of our adult Christian lives, we have done so mostly for those within the confines of our own church building and mostly for ourselves. 

But God has been calling us to step out of the familiar and the comfortable and look for ways to honor others above ourselves, particularly children.  Particularly children living in extreme poverty.  Particularly children around the world with no mother, no father.  The homeless.  The loveless. Orphans.

In scripture, our heavenly Father is seen as a "Helper of the fatherless" (Ps. 10:14 - NIV) and an "Advocate for orphans" (Prov. 23:10 - The Message).

As it turns out, God's heart is for adoption, with the central gospel message serving as the epitome of adoption.  His love pursued us when we were alienated, unlovable, and all alone.

Because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and His unwillingness to think only of Himself, the good news is that we were not left alone.  In fact, as children of God, we have been adopted into God's family and are now co-heirs with Him, sharing in all the Father has given the Son. 

We've all been adopted! (Rom. 8:15-17)

What an amazing picture for us to emulate! 

So with overwhelming joy and excitement, our family is jumping in, feet first.

No cautious tip-toeing into these waters of uncertainty.  No ma'am.  No sir.

Just a giant cannon ball into the depths of the unknown.  But we're okay with that. 

Why?  Because we follow a God who walks upon the water.  And as long as we follow where He's leading, we're good.  Actually, I surmise we're better than good.

So humbly, we ask these things of you right now:
1. Please pray for us.  We need it. 
2. Please pray for our daughter on the other side of the world.  She needs it.

"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes'..." Matthew 5:37

**(Yes, there are like a million other details as to how God initiated this journey and how He confirmed it, which I will try to share along the way.  But if you'd like the story first-hand, and a little sooner, invite us to dinner and we'd be glad to share our hearts with you. :)  We really enjoy eating what someone else took the time to prepare. :))**

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome news! I will be praying for your family and your daughter. The world needs more people like the Forts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this story I had tears in my eyes. I am elated about the decision you have made. Me being adopted from Korea and my husband and I adopted our son this means so much to me to read this. I have never seen it presented like this and this is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. To me Derek resembles Stephen Curtis Chapman and you resemble his wife. I think this is so wonderful and couldn't think of any better parents than you two. Knowing Derek when he was was in the youth I have seen him grow in the Lord and so proud of him but not knowing you but I do know if Derek chose you then you must be one super lady. I will pray for you. Let me tell you that it will be a big roller coaster ride (speaking from experience) but in the end, it will be so worth it. Just promise me one thing, that I will get to meet her when you get her. I want to say.......I will be praying for patience, strength, endurance and God will provide all the needs that need to be met. I know how expensive it is, but you will never regret saving a life. Hang in there, and if you or Derek have any questions please feel free to contact me. I will answer on both sides, being adopted and paying it forward is so worth it,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled for your family. I will definately be praying.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...