Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Moving Forward

"I prefer to fall back, not spring forward." 

This was my Facebook status last spring on the eve of Daylight Savings Time.

At the time, it was exactly how I felt.  Not just about physically losing an hour or gaining an hour in my day.  But more about the condition of my heart and mind. 

Ten months ago, I wished to stay where I was in my life.  Falling back to what was familiar and comfortable made me feel safe and secure.  And like most people, I happen to enjoy safe and secure.

Instead, I sensed God was about to move.  He was about to lift the cloud above our family's encampment.  Just like with the Israelites, this would be the signal to move forward.  Following Him.  To a new destination.  (See Numbers 9:15-23)

At the beginning of this month, Daylight Savings Time came again.  Graciously, we accepted an extra hour of sleep as we turned the clocks back in time before retiring for bed.

But in this season in my life, I struggled with the thought of going backwards.  I found myself wishing to press on.  To continue making forward progress.  Not to put this object in motion to rest.

Watching Lion King last weekend, reminded me of a conversation between two of my favorite Disney characters, Pumba and Timon: 
Pumba: It's like my buddy Timon always says: You got to put your behind in your past.
Timon
: No, no, sit down before you hurt yourself. You gotta put your past *behind you*.


Either way, that's sound advice.  Even if it comes from an animated meerkat and warthog. :)

In the New Testament, the apostle Paul says it like this,

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Paul knew he was in a chase, not just a race.  He was constantly moving forward when it might have been easier to fall back. 

At church we often sing a song entitled, "Moving Forward" by Israel Houghton.  Here are some of the lyrics:
"Not going back, moving ahead 
Here to declare to You, my past is over in You.
All things are made new, Surrendered my life to Christ 
I'm moving, moving forward. 
You make all things new.  Yes, You make all things new.  And I will follow You forward."

Each day as I surrender my life to Christ, I want to be found faithful.  Faithful to heed the lessons I need to learn.  Faithful to obey.

The alternative, as my wise friend once said, may be "another lap around the desert".

Forgive me for not caring to waste my days wandering in circles.  

As I understand it, there's only one way to get to the promised land in our lives.  One step at a time.  Moving forward.

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."
~ C. S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. :) First of all, I love how the Lord can encourage us from anywhere He wants to...even via a warthog and a meerkat. We watch that over here, too. :)

    And this is encouragement I need so many days, to PRESS on. To forget what is behind and keep moving forward! I think forgetting what is behind is a big part of surrendering my life to Christ, too. Laying my sins and my mistakes at His feet. Trusting that He does indeed forgive and cleanse me. AND trusting He would still want to use me. Trusting His love and moving forward. Oh...and I LOVE that song. :)

    Great reminders! Thanks, Michele!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...